• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
ruby_claire
Senior Boarder
Neon Light Diamond

My 'fantagical' tour story

#45517 3 years, 2 months ago
I started the tour with some people I didn't know too well & our arrangement didn't work out. Since they knew each other, that meant I had to figure something else out (sucked, cuz I didn't plan on paying for hotels or transportation)

In Mansfield ,I overslept and just barely made it to the Amtrak that would get me to Vibes in time for Furthur, which wasn't even my plan, cuz I had wanted to see other bands that day also.

Two stops before mine, the conductor announced that there had been a major accident and that in his opinion the train wouldn't be going anywhere for at least 2-3 hours. All the type A personalities on the train started freaking out, getting off, making calls trying to get to NYC or DC, any way that they could. It was 113 degrees on the train platform. The place the train stopped was a tiny hamlet with only one cab company that started hanging up on people after 5 minutes of getting all these calls for rides.

Greyhound didn't have any buses from there. Another express train arrived headed for NYC, but it too had to stop. People were lined up everywhere, frantically trying to get out of that place.

At first I decided to wait on the train, figuring if it left in 3 hours it would still only be 7:30 in Bridgeport and Furthur didn't go on until 9PM. After another half hour they announced that no trains would run for the rest of the day and that this train was going back to Boston.

I honestly had no idea what I was going to do. I had already accepted that there was no way I was getting to Vibes, but I still had to get out of that place and NO ONE was getting out of that place.

There was one restaurant at the station and at least it was air conditioned, so I went in hoping that an idea would come to me. I had already met one guy headed to Vibes and he was trying to hitchhike, but I am just too old and jaded to try something like that.
At the podium the hostess asked me and this business man if we were together and he said yes. I really didn't know what to do, so I just went along with it. When we had been seated he asked me if I had been on one of the trains and where I was headed. I told him and basically that I had resigned myself to not going anywhere that night due to the number of other people waiting for any means of transport out. He had an iPad which he flipped open to a map, showed me a dot which was where he was going and then showed me Bridgeport, said it was on the way and that he had a car coming in half an hour to pick him up and that he could drop me off at The Vibes.

I didn't really believe him, but he seemed fine and I had nothing else to do, so we sat there eating Oreo Cookie pie and shooting the shit. Sure enough, half hour later he gets a call, tells me to come on, we go outside and there is this chauffer driven limo waiting for us. I figured f'it (the guy was harmless, I could already tell) and jumped in.

We just drove away ,while over 300 people sat sweltering in the heat, unable to leave that place(most people didn't get out of there untill the following day, according to the news) The car drove me straight to the VIP entrance at Vibes (helps to have a limo) and dropped me off 15 minutes before Furthur's set started.

I am convinced that this was a miracle. The guy was so benign, he had no creepy overtones of hitting on me, or expecting anything in return (sad to say, but this is far more common than one would like to think) He just made pleasant conversation until we were able to get where I needed to go.

I've had other crazy, almost unbelievable things happen to me over the years of seeing GD, but this is way up there with the all time miracle stories.

I wanted to share it here, because i know you guys will be able to see it for what it truly is ~ a fantagical, miracle story.
standing on the moon
with nothing left to do
a lovely view of heaven
but i'd rather be with you
Last Edit: 3 years, 2 months ago by ruby_claire.
pawtrack
Junior Boarder

Re: My 'fantagical' tour story

#45519 3 years, 2 months ago
that was amazing, people suprise you if you give them a chance. my friend hitch-hiked across the u.s. and had many feel good stories too.
PMoondancer
Platinum Boarder

#45522 3 years, 2 months ago
Ruby, awesome story!!!

I believe in
miracles
I believe in
Jesus
when he sends a stranger
who is your friend
when the sick are tended
when the lost are found
the common heart is mended
the feet find firm ground
in an earthen manger
a story that doesn't end
Last Edit: 3 years, 2 months ago by PMoondancer .
The following user(s) said Thank You: Delilajones
bokb
Senior Boarder
Be, okay? Be.

#45523 3 years, 2 months ago
"..... in the strangest of places!" Beautiful story! Thanks for sharing!
If unable to dance, I'll crawl.
MushroomMan
Platinum Boarder

#45525 3 years, 2 months ago
That really was an amazing story, thanks for sharing. Sucks you got left on your own but I'm glad everything worked out for you in the end.

Mansfield and Vibes were both very hot shows, if you got to Vibes during the day you probably wouldn't of even wanted to be out in that sun watching the music - it was brutal! I missed Taj Mahal and most of Trucks, which I really did want to see, but I almost didn't care it was so nasty out.

Did you do any other shows?
DeadHead420
Platinum Boarder
More negative karma please =-)

#45564 3 years, 2 months ago
Great story. Great miracle. Great usage of my made up word "Fantagical". =-) =-) =-) lol
funky420
Platinum Boarder
If you stumble, make it part of the dance.

#45567 3 years, 2 months ago
What a beauitiful story. It's good to know that there are still kind soul's out there.
The voices tell me what to say
killwhyT
Senior Boarder

#45576 3 years, 2 months ago
Good story. Glad it worked out for you. Reaffims our belief in humanity.
Chester
More or less in line

#45578 3 years, 2 months ago
Very cool story. I love happy endings! : )
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
Terrapin Sedation
Platinum Boarder
Let your life proceed by its own design

#45600 3 years, 2 months ago
This is far better than that fictional story we all made up a couple months ago..

I hope you got his name nd address or email for a thank you.........

I prefer to think it was the ghost of Bill Graham
Time to create page: 1.14 seconds